Thursday, July 7, 2011

Whither Thou Goest...

One of my favorite stories in the bible is that of Ruth.  She showed such faithfulness to her mother-in-law, Naomi, that she left her home and traveled with her to a foreign land just to take care of her.  Or at least that is what Ruth thought she was doing.  In all actuality, God was directing Ruth to go with Naomi so that He could take care of them both.  And, in the process, Ruth became part of a much bigger plan.  She promised Naomi, "Whither thou goest, I will go.  Your people will be my people.  Your God will be my God."  Wow!
Ok, so that is how I always felt about Mema.  Wherever she was, that was home for me.  It didn't matter if we were sitting at her house playing Skip-Bo, traveling around Arkansas singing at different churches, at our home church ministering to the faithful few, or those special nights at St. John's hospital having our "slumber parties".  Wherever she was, that is where I wanted to be.

When I was little, I loved to spend the night with Mema.  Momma would come to pick me up the next day and we would barely get 5 miles from her house and I would cry to go back.  I guess I was rotten, because more often than not, Mom would turn around and take me back.  There was always peace when I was with Mema.  As I got older, I learned that there was usually some crisis going on with someone, but Mema never let it show to me.  It was safe with her.  It was home. 

She used to live within walking distance to the little storefront church that she and my Papa pastored.  I remember getting up on Sunday morning and walking to church with her.  We had to get there early to make coffee.  She played the organ during service, and my place was right next to her on the organ bench.  There were two rows of keys, and I got to play the bottom ones.  Fortunately for the congregation, the bottom row didn't work, but I played them with all I had.  It was there that I learned to sense the presence of the Lord.  I became comfortable with the moving of His Spirit, and later could respond to whatever He wanted me to do.  I loved to be right next to Mema when the Lord would move through her....

Back in those days, Mema would hold prayer meetings at the church on a regular basis.  I don't remember these being huge prayer circles, but just a few ladies who would meet and interceed for their families and the congregation.  One of the most faithful to meet was Juanita.  She would often bring her grandson, Joel with her.  Joel and I were the same age, and I loved it when he came.  We would lay underneath the altar and play quietly while our grandmothers talked to God.  We never seemed to bother them, although their prayer meetings were seldom quiet and serene.  Sometimes it was just me under that altar.  I would lay there and listen to the ladies pray.  Here I learned I could be bold and ask God for anything.  My child-like faith would be such that if we were praying for rain, I would walk around outside with my umbrella waiting for the answer.  I wish I could get back to that child-like faith.  It was so easy then.  We saw so many of those prayers answered.  I know God still answers our prayers, but as an adult I think it becomes too easy to focus on the times He says "No" or "Wait" and take the "Yes" answers for granted. 

So, that is the story behind the title of the blog.  Mema may not have left behind expensive jewelery or a big bank account, but the inheritance is priceless!  She laid up her treasures in heaven, but she left plenty behind on earth as well.  She invested in people by giving so generously of her time and her heart. May we all provide the interest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment