Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Happy Birthday, MEMA!!!!

Today would have been Mema's 53rd anniversary of her 29th birthday.  Mema always said she was 29.  I remember when my mom turned 30, I told Mema that she needed to turn at least 30.  She told me, "Your mom can be 30 if she wants to, but I am 29!"  Yes, ma'am!

So, this morning Mom, Emily, Papa and I loaded up in the car. We went to breakfast and then took some flowers to the cemetery.  I made sure the bouquet had big lilies in it because that is what Mom and Mema would send me on my birthday sometimes.  It was nice to honor her with a short visit (before the 100+ heat set in for the day).  It was mom's first time to visit the grave since the funeral.  We were all glad we went.

Then, in honor of Mema, we took Papa shopping.  Yes, shopping!  We took him to Hobby Lobby because he's a little bored these days and it's too hot to putter around in the garden.  He got a balsa wood airplane to build.  After that excursion, we stopped at QuikTrip for drinks, and a miracle happened.  While Mema was going through treatment, she wore very little jewelery.  But there was one bracelet she always had on her wrist.  It was one of those magnetic bracelets that is supposed to help with joint pain.  She swore it made her feel better, so she kept it on all she could.  A few weeks before she passed, the bracelet was lost.  We all looked everywhere for it.  Where could it be?  She never went anywhere but to church and the doctor.  We took her chairs apart, looked all around the bed, searched the church, asked at the doctor, looked all over the car--no bracelet.  Today, while I was in QT, Papa was sitting in the back seat of the car, looked down, and saw the bracelet under the seat.  It made us all tear up and smile at the same time. 

So, Happy Birthday Mema!  I know you are having your best one yet!
Mema on her birthday in 2008--the 50th anniversary of her 29th birthday. ;)

1 comment:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMA!! I know you are rejoicing today with all the loved ones that you had to let go!! Although my heart is heavy and I miss you so much, I know you are in a far, far better place today, which makes missing you a little easier!!! ♥ ♥ ♥--Sharon

    ReplyDelete