Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Watch

Here is my favorite story from Helen's Cafe.  It will quickly become clear why I love it so much.

One day Mema was waiting on a customer in the Cafe.  It was someone she had never seen before.  She went  over to help him and he reached out to her and said "May I see your watch?"  Weird request, but of course she showed him her watch.  The man looked at her and began to tell her how the Lord had given him a vision of that watch and that He had given him a message for the woman wearing it.  He said, "Your daughter desperately wants to have a child.  She will have a baby of her own."  The man said that he was a missionary and had been out of the country on a mission.  When he returned home, his wife had left and taken his children.  He was on his way to California to find them.  He promised to pray all the way there for Mema's daughter to have a baby, and asked Mema to pray that he would find his children as well.

Ok, this story sounds outrageous, but it is true!  I retold this story to some people after Mema's funeral and a family member nearby was listening saying, "Yep, that's how it happened!  I was there!"  You see, my parents had been trying for years to have a baby.  That very weekend, they were in Oklahoma City to begin the process of adopting a child.  But this man said that my mother would have a baby of her own, and by the time he would have made it to California, my mother found out she was pregnant with me.   

I often wonder about that man.  Mom and Mema told me his name, but I can never remember it.  I wonder if he ever found his children.  I have heard this story all my life.  It took me a long time to even question where babies come from--they come from prayer, silly!!  Really, they do come from the Heart of God!  The Psalmist said it so well:  
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; 
your works are wonderful, I know that full well." (Psalm 139: 13-14)

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I most definately remember this!!! I used to have a picture of this man, that I carried in my wallet. I don't know if he found his children, we never heard from him again. I always considered him to be an angel from God! My life was miraculously changed that day!--Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! No wonder she was so good at praying babies here!!! Cool story!--Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I remember this very well... WOW.. I had forgotten the watch story... such wonderful memories. Please.. Keep reminding us...--Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. my first job was at Aunt Helen's cafe :~)) ♥ love your stories Amy!--Cathy

    ReplyDelete