Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Glenwood Trio

After Mema and Papa started Glenwood Full Gospel Church, they had a radio program.  Papa would preach and Mema, my mom, and my aunt Patti would sing.  (Papa is one of those family members that is less musically inclined.)  The radio program came and went, but the church and the Glenwood Trio became lasting standards for years to come.

When I was little, I spent a lot of time traveling around with "The Trio."  We used to joke because people would book "The Trio" and then fifteen people would descend upon them.  The band and those that traveled with us changed a bit over the years, but we NEVER only traveled as a "trio".  Eventually we changed the name to "The Glenwoods" so people wouldn't be so surprised when we unloaded off of the bus.

The trio sang at churches all over Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, and Missouri.  We went to prisons, nursing homes, outdoor singings, etc.  They made two local recordings and four in Nashville.  Mostly, the songs that were recorded were original songs.  If you'd like to take a listen, Janet Gaulding Arnold has posted them on a Facebook page.

I am posting several pictures of "The Trio" through the years.  This is something that brought Mema so much joy.  The past several years, we haven't been traveling.  But we have a singing at our church every month.  Mema sang with the trio at the singing up until the very end.  Now, when the trio sings, I sing Mema's part.  It makes me feel so close to her--and makes me miss her--all at the same time.
Shirley (drums), Kathy (Guitar), Janet (Bass), Patti (Alto), Helen (Tenor), Sharon (Lead and Piano)--Late 1970's-ish

"Just in Time" Album Cover Photo.  I got to go with them to Nashville for this recording/photo shoot. 

The last album cover--"Rejoice"--circa 1989

Mid-1980's

Janet's van--I was the "co-pilot"

Our upgraded ride--Silver Eagle--Travel first class!!

Tanya Tucker once toured on this bus--with some fiddler guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment