Monday, August 1, 2011

Missing My Prayer Partner...

Today was my first day back to work after a very hectic summer break.  We have moved our school into a new building, and I'm not sure anyone really got the rest they should have over the summer.  Nevertheless, I was very happy to be with my Chouteau family.  The first thing many of our staff members did this morning was meet for a voluntary prayer meeting.  We met as a group and then went throughout the new building praying for our students and asking the Lord's blessing over our new school and our new year.  But this wasn't the first time I prayed over a school....

I think Mema was really proud of my decision to become a teacher.  Had she been born into my situation, she probably would have been a teacher herself.  She told me that Grandma Versie once taught in a one-room schoolhouse, so maybe the teacher-gene just runs in the family.  When I got a job at Chouteau, it was a double blessing because it is situated in the area of Tulsa many call the "Sand Springs Line", and this is where Mema grew up, raised her own family, and pastored a church.  When Sarah and Emily started school at Chouteau, Mema really became more involved.  I have many stories about things she did and people she touched as she volunteered at that little school.  There were many times when I would be having a rough time with my class that she and I would stand in my classroom praying for peace, wisdom, strength, and yes, even sometimes patience. 

When talk came of closing Chouteau, Mema was one of our main prayer warriors.  And when news came that we would only close the building, and move the program to the Madison Middle School campus, she was so pleased.  At the hospital, when she was really getting bad, I told her I was going home for the night, and would be back the next day.  She told me I needed to go home and get some rest so I could take care of HER school.  As I walked the hallways praying over each classroom, I couldn't help but feel her with me.  I know she would not only be proud of the hard work and determination, but of the faith and unity of the faculty today. 

Thank you, all of my Chouteau friends, for always making my Mema feel like she was an important part of our team.  And thank you even more for being there for me throughout her illness, and through our loss of her.  You make me smile knowing that I get to work with you again as we set off on this new chapter in our lives.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment